Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Comments and Blogs

So, this has been niggling at me for a bit, because I'm like that. I hold onto random things that aren't really important to life, but I still hold onto them.

What makes someone comment on a blog? Is it a witty thought, or a good photo, or just a connection you make to something in the post? For me, I love to post comments just because I love *getting* comments back. It's nice to know that people are reading your blog, even if you can see they're reading it because you have a widget of some kind on the side of said blog. (yes, I have two of those. It's just fun. Besides, I still don't even know who it is half the time.) I love seeing photos of friends that I haven't seen in awhile, children that have been born since we last saw eachother, little funny stories... it makes me feel like I'm not as far removed as I feel like I am. We don't live near most of our friends that have blogs, and sometimes you read things on blogs that wouldn't come up in phone conversations. Plus I'm not very good at keeping up with people via the phone, for some reason talking on the phone makes me nervous (there's a random little fact most people don't know). There are some people that I wish I *could* talk to on the phone because I miss how much I used to laugh when I got to talk to them (Jesse... miss you and our prank calls... do you even remember that?) but am too chicken to be like "hey you. gimme your number so I can nervously phone you in hopes that you want to hear from me." So I read their blogs and comment, in hopes that somehow they can read between the lines and see how much I value them, even from afar. There's also family, all CJs, that I love to read up on and see how they're doing. We don't live close to anyone really, so this is the best way to keep up on family happenings. Who's pregnant (yay Melanie and Michelle!) who's going to the reunion, who's moving, who's.... and so on. There's almost no family left in my own family, so to have so many relatives through marriage now, well, it was a bit of a shock to the system, and I love it. Especially when there are so many around our age. I wish we were going to the Humpherys reunion this year, but it's too far for us to go this time, but hopefully we'll get to see some soon (Vegas cousin reunion, anyone?) . Sometimes I'm too chicken to comment, but I'm going to work on that...

Oops, I rambled again. Comment! Even if it's nothing but "I'm here!" or "zombies are attacking me, but happy to see things are going well for you!". I'm going to try to make sure I comment more, because I know that I get happy when I see comments, so other people must love it too... I hope? I should add, I'm not just talking about this blog. I'm talking about all blogs! Sometimes people get discouraged from posting in blogs because they don't get any comments, so why not encourage them along?

Ooh. I should give some motivation for people to post here, right? How's cute kid photos?

Our backyard wall is perfect for sidewalk chalk and practicing letters:


J trying to give the cat a kiss:

12 comments:

Jen said...

I totally agree! I'm just so lazy when it comes to commenting. I love to read all my friends' blogs, but very rarely leave a comment. Why? Because I'm a dork. But then I check my own blog and get all sad that I didn't get any comments. Double standard much? So here you go... I'll take your challenge and start commenting more. It's the right thing to do :)

sues2u2 said...

Okay, so you do have the cutest kids! Sorry, too. I come over & lurk & forget sometimes to comment. Don't know why.

Kate said...

Well, darn, if I'd known this is what your post was about I would've rushed over to be the first to comment! Why didn't you warn me?! Not to mention our conversation spurred a whole blog post and I didn't even get honorable mention? I'm heartbroken.





PS. i love you.

Anonymous said...

oh Laurie I miss you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

comments make me happy to. I guess I better post new stuff if I want people to comment though...I better get on that. :)

kate bentley said...

Dude, I could have sworn I had this blog in my reader, but I guess not. Boo to me!!!! Love you and love seeing your kids. Oh, and I share the nervous dork trait in regards to phone conversations. =]

John and Jessica Tilton said...

Dead on, Laurie! And I always thought the phone thing was because I'm so shy...guess I'm not alone in my weirdities! Well, just couldn't resist commenting! Love lurking around and seeing all the adorable pictures of your family!

Hilary said...

I'm here and after this last week I wish I were attacked by zombies. I love, love, love to read your blog. You have such a quirky outlook on thinks and that's quirky in a great way. Cute kids, cute blogger, agree about the whole great family thing. And I agree about the comment thing. I love when people at least let me know that they looked so I'm not just blogging to just myself. Vegas sounds great- I'm available in July. see ya

Staci Taylor said...

Can I just say ditto to all that you said? lol I love reading blogs, too, to help stay connected. And, of course, to see photos!! That IS the perfect chalk wall!

Jenamarie said...

Yay, another phone-phobe like me! I feel the same way you do. I hate asking for people's numbers because I worry that they'll only give it to me out of politeness, all the while secretly hoping I never actually call them. Or if they DO want me to call them, I'll always catch them at an inconvenient time when talking to me is the last thing they want to do just then.

Yay for phone-phobes! LOL

Mum said...

I think you may have inherited your phone phobia from me. I hate talking on the phone--did you know that? I even dry up talking to you!! But it's the only way we have to communicate, just like I hate flying but I do it because it's the way to get to places I want to go.
Maybe, hopefully, soon we won't need to rely on the telephone!!
I love you pook!
Mum

Laura said...

Oh how I love to read your blog...